What a beauty chapter and wonderful way of thinking about communion. My next to last experience with communion was a negative one-the catholic church where my mom's funeral was held making a clear pronouncement that only practicing Catholics were invited to God's table. Which meant I was not allowed to take communion at my own mom's funeral though I am very much a practicing christian. I had defied the priest's orders at my dad's funeral two decades before (its not like the priests can tell when we move forward, right?) but the bravery of my 30's has become trepidation in my 50's. So I watched as some pretty non-practicing Catholics went forward for the bread and wine. A week or so later I passed a catholic church in Tallmadge that had a sign out saying all are welcomed and I wondered if that meant to the table to? I hope so.
On giving thanks-I would grade myself B-, I do try and give thanks each day but its not always intentional and I think that's a mistake. So I am going to start a thankful journal that simply lists to God each day all my blessings. It begins with a thank-you to Traci for sharing the book with (at the time of my mom's death) and starting the blog and for all my fellow bloggettes willing to share the gifts.
On teaching-Marylou I teach the 4 year olds in 14 year old bodies. and think the same lesson are to be learned from them-do not forget them and what each of them brings to our tablebeing grateful for each opportunity
to show: Charis (Grace)
to Give :Eucharisteo (Thanksgiving)
to recieve and know: Chara (joy)
I get to. I get to live. (p27). How simple, how profound, how necessary to remember.
Peace,
Lisa
1 comment:
Dear Lisa,
I so very much identified with your post.I began a gratitude journal today as well. And you are so right, Lisa, all of the students charged to us in all of our years are to be remembered. They were given to us for a short time and for a good reason. I like to believe I benefitted the most from my teacher calling. I am grateful!
I pray you know CHARA this weekend.
Thanks for your sharing and openess. That encourages me much!
Marylou
Post a Comment