Saturday, July 23, 2011

I am an amateur!

My goodness, this is not light reading for sure. I find myself reading forward and then returning over and over to some most thought provoking words in prior chapters. I am beginning to see I need not "hurry" through this at all. These are such important words and surely express things I have been thinking about for some time.

"...hurry and impatience are sure marks of the amateur" (p66). Wow! Story of my life. Always something on my plate or someone scraping their stuff on to my plate! I did not think of this as reason for me to be considered amateur. The phrase gives clarity to my approach in many things.

I have been pondering this "amateur" life since I read the words. The truth for me is even though I fit the description and hurry to finish two or three things so I can do something else I have always appeared to have had enough time. The important things always seemed completed. God is good. He has given me a long rope. I lived alot by "lesson plan". My husband was continually amazed at my lists on the counter and that I was the only person he ever heard of who could schedule a migraine for every Friday morning. Ah...ha! The price for being more amateur than thought.

Through all of the amateur living I can remember some moments of "professionalism", so to speak...some moments when I GOT IT and I knew I GOT IT. Thank You God. Joy! I think through all of this productive rambling, I am happy to have this time as an amateur. I don't believe it has all been wasted. The few moments of greatness are worth it. All of the rest is part of my learning curve. My goal is to graduate. I would rather be God's student stumbling through to ace the final exam than never to have taken the course at all. It must be tragic to not know Him let alone not desire to sit at His knee and see His face. When I get to be with God eternally I know I won't be an amateur anymore. Got a ways to go. I'm on it!

Anyone make sense of this? If not, that's OK. ;)
Keep "studying" my dear friends,
Marylou

5 comments:

traci said...

Marylou ~ Yes, I, too, am an amateur. And that is good motivation to learn to take my time and live mindfully in the moment...to trust that all is as it should be...relax and live with God. Blessed and thankful.
Happy new week to all ~

MamiLisa said...

My focus from chapter 3 is on page 59- It really is a dare to name all the ways that God loves me. The true Love Dare. Dare I really believe that God loves me enough to let go and let God control my life and my actions, that he will use me for good if I remove the obstacles of what I want, when I want it (Mary Lou this reminded me of your scheduled migraines) I was so inspired the first day I read the chapter, started a list of a thousand things with descriptors, next day I still had the list going but it wasn't intentional-in my head I would get to later writing it down. Intentional means I set aside the time, I dare to spend moments eacyh day giving thanks and praise at this love for me but I didn't for a whole week but he draws me back, he calls my name, in song, in my kids needs, in friends cries for prayers, he draws me back. So today I am back to intentional-back to "unwrapping love" page 45 by naming it-hears my most beautiful thank you for today. Thank you God for granting me a heart big enough to accept mistakes.
L

Marylou Mansfield said...

Amen and Amen!! My mind is soooo open now I cannot fit it all in! Thank you, my friends. We are moving forward...God is smiling. He is counting on us to do so. I believe we all want to be His girls. Guess what, we are! I wrote the following at @ 2 AM on a HOT night on the Cape. Such a beautiful moment in my life. I share with you because you are annointed.

Isn't life just incredibly interesting?!

Blessings to all of us!
Marylou

FAVORITE CHILD

Warm….uncomfortable….restless

I open the front door,
The door on the ocean side.
A cool, invigorating breeze reaches out to my face.
It instantly fills every pore of my steamy skin.

Refreshing…..renewing…..reminding

I open my eyes and look up.
There they are, millions and millions of stars.
They are lit with twinkles and blinks
Like beacons….like signals….like messengers.

Small….tiny….miniscule

That is how I feel at that moment.
But NOT unimportant.
You see, today, “I am HIS favorite child”!
Everyone who comes to HIM is HIS favorite.
AND today, “I am HIS favorite child”.

I will make every effort
With every part of my body and soul
To live like “I am HIS favorite child”.

Because, you see, I AM!

Nan Morgan said...

Marylou! Holy cow, woman! I have certainly put you, along with Traci, Lisa and Amanda as amazing blessings in my life. The fact that you could write anything at 2:00 in the morning is dang impressive. Thank you for sharing your amazing joy with all of us.
N

MamiLisa said...

2 am thoughts are the best and I so admire someone who intentionally writes it down-beauty to all His favorite children!