Thursday, July 14, 2011

Communion

Good morning all,

Just continuing reading Ann's book. It is definitely a read, reread account. In chapter 2, the description of communion and giving thanks is just stunning. I think as a child and younger adult I received this gift in such a naive fashion, never truly understanding. Even now the "mystery" can sometimes be difficult to fathom. Ann's revelations are emensely helpful.

Something wonderful did happen this Easter time while teaching my preschoolers about Easter week. Acting out the account and role playing the "parts" gave such realism to my little students. They loved the week. I was concerned, as always, how to teach the events from the Bible. Each class is different, each year I am different. In fact, I have feared teaching this lesson many times feeling ill equipped. (or non-trusting) At the end of the week I asked some pointed questions of the group. We recounted the Last Supper story. One little boy just looked at me and with great ease and comfort related Jesus had supper with His friends. He gave them wine for His blood and bread for His body. And Jesus said "Don't forget me. I will see you again. Look for me. Every time you have supper together and eat bread and wine you will all think about me."

A true simplification from the heart of a 4 year old...but I had to turn away for a moment. When I looked at the boy again, he said,"Don't forget me." To this moment I am not sure who was speaking. But since that time every time I receive the gift communion I hear the words spoken in T.J.'s voice. That's when God said to me very clearly, "Do you understand now? This was all for you. Now you can finish as the teacher you always were called to be." I KID YOU NOT!!!

A huge miracle in my life and once again a child led me!! Sometimes I personally just need to simplify and go with it. My wonderful God always speaks.

Thanks for the time,
He is there and listening,
Marylou

3 comments:

traci said...

Marylou ~ I love the world of 4 year olds...and I love "Do not forget me" And isn't teaching a calling. Have you read Palmer's The Courage to Teach? Awesome book. I teach K-2 Special Ed. love love love it. Taught pre-school for a few years about 10 yrs ago and so enjoyed! Thanks for your sharing!

Lisa Youngs said...

:)
Lisa Y.

Nan Morgan said...

Wow, Wow and Wow!